On Monday 11/18 we will have our first workshop of the 2019-2020 season. We've decided to try something a little different and we will be having "Sharing In The Round" small group image sharing sessions. Each member may bring in up to two images to share (prints preferred, no matting or framing, but iPads or laptops acceptable in a pinch) with a small group of peers. Please note, this is not a technical image critique. It is a chance to share how and why you created an image, and why it is meaningful to you, and for the group to respond and discuss the impact and meaning of your image and description.
Please register for the evening using the link below by 11/13. This will allow me to get a sense of who is coming and/or bringing images, so I can allocate groups.
Some further instructions:
- Choose images that are meaningful to you in some way. If you do not have two images you would like to share, feel free to just share one. The two images do not necessarily have to be related to each other in any way.
- When talking about your images, try to aim for just slightly longer than the description given at competition after an image wins an HM or Award (the long-winded ones, like me). Why is the image meaningful to you or what do you like about it? What is interesting or different about how or where it was made? What compositional or technical choices did you make and why? What were you trying/hoping to communicate?
- If there is a particular problem you are having with an image or something technical/compositional you would like feedback on, please feel free to ask your group for feedback and advice.
- Again, the easiest way to share is to bring straight prints without mats or frames. If you can't make a print or get a print made, then you could bring an iPad or laptop to share a digital image. Phone screens are really small, but sharing on a phone is still better than not sharing at all. If you bring an electronic device, please make sure it is charged and your images are pulled up before we start. We won't have the ability to plug in devices or the time to wait for presenters to search for images or programs to boot up.
- Those who have agreed to be group facilitators can also share their own images and should register.
- Please refrain from giving technical or critical feedback, or advice, unless asked to by the presenter.
- Instead, talk about how the image makes you feel, what is successful/powerful about the image, what it communicates to you, or what interests you about the subject matter, process, location. Try phrases like... "This image makes me feel ____" or "I really like how you _____."
- Be respectful of others in your group. Give others a chance to talk, don't dominate the discussion. Respect differences of opinion and style.
- Try to give some feedback/discussion on each image presented.
Looking forward to an interesting evening of sharing!
Please register by 11/13 at https://forms.gle/GrwdpVKnecVpCPVC9